Drive home the change you see in the world -you could drive home in a new Tesla Model S.
Instagram Photo Contest for a Changing World
We’re upping our commitment to all you changemakers out there. Post a photo on Instagram of the change you’re seeing in the world around sustainability, environmental consciousness, energy transition, or green technology. The change can be big or small, positive or negative. Just capture those moments that mean the most to you.
TWO Grand Prize winners will get a paid 3-year lease on a new Tesla Model S, on us.
And what’s better than one Tesla?
We’re also awarding awesome runner up prizes in these categories:
Sustainability: iPhone XS Max 512 GB
Environmental Consciousness: Canon EOS Rebel T7i
Energy Transition: DJI Mavic Air Photo Drone
Green Technology: $1,000 B&H Photography Gift Card
How To Enter
How to Win
Our judges will evaluate each photo entry based on the following equally-weighted criteria:
Post your photo to Instagram from your public* user account by 3/29/19.
Tag @BankoftheWest in the post caption.
Use #capturethechange and #contest in the post caption.
How well does the submission capture a change (positive or negative) in the world related to sustainability, environmental consciousness, energy transition, or green technology?
Spirit of the Contest
Does the submission convey a high level of artistic quality?
Does the submission express a fresh, unique and interesting point of view?
Creativity & Originality
As the bank for a changing world, we are deeply committed to the initiatives that will have the most positive impact on the environment. Whether it’s a major global shift like the energy transition, or a small personal choice like composting, we believe the health of our planet depends on it. See the changes we’re most passionate about here.
Why We're Doing This
Grand Prize Winners
This picture has a lot of interwoven narratives, and what you take away from it depends a lot on you as the viewer. Perhaps you see the number of people, or the amount of plastic sold and used during the 20 minutes of rain we encountered on this random Tuesday. Or maybe you see the iconic landmark on which this photo was taken. Whatever your first impression might be, I want to highlight the one piece of this that stands out most to me, and that’s us. The more you travel, what you see is often times different than what we tend to share on social media. No matter where you go, chances are you will be surrounded by other people. Sometimes it can get overwhelming. And while we often share romanticized views of the world and consume with mostly our own needs in mind, these same choices we make as individuals are what tend to compound and sit at the very root of sustainability issues. We are multiplying faster and living longer than ever before. We are traveling more and consuming at a rate that cannot be maintained. If we want to see the greatest opportunity for change, then perhaps all we have to do is look within. So next time we’re each individually faced with a decision about what to consume, throw away, or even the businesses that we support, I hope we can each pause long enough to make a conscious choice. To choose based on who and what we value most in this world. An answer that I hope would include each other. #CaptureTheChange #contest @bankofthewest
I have always admired the concept of not shaping the land to fit our needs, but building in harmony with the earth. Shaping our houses and weaving our technology among and with the trees instead of overtop of them. Treating our home the way a home should be treated; with respect and dignity. With an ever-growing interest in outdoor activities via social media, we need to be all the more vigilant to push for more earthfriendly alternatives and protect our wild places. Not everyone can live a fully self-sustainable lifestyle in a treehouse, but there’s things to be learned from the people who can. @bankofthewest #capturethechange #contest
Runner Ups By Category
One thing I'm very passionate about is trying to raise awareness about just how horrible we as a species are to this planet. I see it all the time where people will just leave their trash laying for whatever reason they may conjure up. This could be as simple as the top of a straw wrapper or even when you pull an extra straw by accident from a dispenser. I try to clean up places as best I can but sometimes it gets pretty exhausting. There's a lot of beauty to this planet and a lot of life that depends on those beautiful habitats to survive, and yes that includes humans. A good way to look at it is what would you like people who come into your own home to do with their trash. Leave it around for you to pick up? Well this planet is all of ours and as of right now, we don't have anywhere else to go. So if we continue to pollute our waters and destroy our ecosystems, we will eventually wipe ourselves out of the equation in the process. This isn't a rant about things but rather a quest to push people to start small. Pay a little more attention to the things left behind by you in just one day, then maybe make it to the next day and pay a little more attention. It's not going to happen overnight but training yourself to practice good habits and help train others around you with the same ones can make a monumental difference if everyone participates. Let's strive for this type of picture to not exist 10 years from now. #myplanetmyhome @bankofthewest #capturethechange#contest
ambient airflow inside the dome is continuous, with no stagnant corners, requiring less energy to circulate air and maintain even temperatures. The energy required to heat and cool a dome is approximately 30% less than a conventional building. The second is the high volume-to-surface-area ratio, requiring less building materials to enclose more space. The lower the ratio of a building’s outside perimeter to its enclosed living area, the less energy is required for building, heating and cooling. #energyefficient #ecofriendly #dome #swissalps @bankofthewest #capturethechange #contest
Wind power is an alternative to burning fossil fuel, is renewable, clean, uses little land and has many more environmental benefits. The Windy Point/Windy Flats project, located in Goldendale, Washington is the largest wind farm in Washington state. It spans 26 miles along the Columbia River Gorge ridge line. I took this photo from our family’s 20 acres during a beautiful summer sunset. Mount Hood majestically towers over the rolling hills and farmlands sharing the skyline with the massive wind turbines. A beautiful scene of the old and the new. @BankoftheWest This is my #contest entry for #capturethechange
Whether a hydroponic pepper tower in a window in LA, or a greenhouse in a NYC basement growing lettuces, or our urban “farm” in the city limits of Charlotte, NC...people everywhere are discovering they can grow (at least some of) their own food and improve quality of life. Our free range chickens provide six eggs each morning (our two year old does the collecting) and ample fertilizer for the 25’x20’ vegetable garden. To ensure the grass and bugs they eat are unspoiled, we forego any of the usual lawn treatments customary in suburbia. The garden provides not only vegetables and wild flowers, but also a context for teaching our kids about hard work, patience and sustainability. The veggies the crisper drawer couldn’t save become the perfect snack for our hens Lollipop, Sunshine, Jack Sparrow (bet you can’t guess who named her), Etc that will eventually work into our garden soil and provide fuel for next season’s bounty. The food we don’t eat helps produce the food we will eat and the food we do eat from our hands is good. We’ve traded in a “perfect” yard for eggs and produce we can eat with joy...or maybe we’re just part of the movement changing the perception of what “perfect” really means. #UrbanFarm #Homegrown @bankofthewest #contest #capturethechange
THIS CONTEST IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED, OR ADMINISTERED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH FACEBOOK OR INSTAGRAM.
1. Eligibility. The Contest is open only to individuals who, at the time of entry, are legal residents of the United States or the District of Columbia and have reached the age of legal majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside. Employees, representatives, and agents of Tesla, the Bank (as defined below) and its related companies and promotion agencies, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members (whether or not related) of each such employee, representative, or agent are not eligible to enter. Individuals who are not eligible to do business with Bank, including without limitation, individuals who are on the Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) list of the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) or any similar sanctions list of any jurisdiction are not eligible to enter. The Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void outside of the United States and where prohibited by law.
2. Sponsor. Bank of the West, 180 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (“Sponsor” or “Bank”).
3. Agreement to Official Rules. Your use of the “#CaptureTheChange” hashtag and @bankofthewest as designated in Section 5 below constitutes your full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein in a timely manner.
4. Entry Period. The Contest begins on February 11, 2019, at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) and ends on March 29, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. PT (the “Entry Period”). Entries received prior to or after the Entry Period will be disqualified.
5. How to Enter. During the Entry Period, you must (a) follow Bank of the West on Instagram (@bankofthewest), and then (b) post a photo (an “Image”) to the Instagram platform from your public Instagram user account, and
Your Image(s) must illustrate positive or negative change in the world related to sustainability, environmental consciousness, energy transition, and/or green technology. You agree to furnish the Sponsor with a high resolution version of your Image, upon request. Limit: five (5) entries per person.
6. Requirements for Entry Images. Images must be your own original work and must not: (a) contain any content that could be considered deceptive, misleading, false, fraudulent, scandalous, indecent, obscene, sexually explicit, defamatory, libelous, threatening, harassing, hateful, degrading, intimidating, graphically violent or otherwise unlawful, tortious, or objectionable; (b) depict, encourage, promote, or induce conduct that could violate any law or give rise to criminal or civil liability, or that could be considered risky, violent, discriminatory, or otherwise inappropriate; (c) apart from logos associated with Sponsor, contain any content that is protected by copyright, trademark (including, without limitation, any logo that appears on an article of clothing or elsewhere), trade secret, right of publicity, or other proprietary right, without the express prior written consent of the owner of such right; (d) contain any personally identifying information about any individual; (e) depict any individual other than you, unless you have received a signed written release from such individual or, if he or she is a minor, from his or her parent or legal guardian; or (f) contain any confidential information, or any material, non-public information about any company.
Images must not have been entered into any other contest, promotion, or exhibition, or otherwise published or distributed. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to refuse to accept any entry or Image.
7. Selection of Potential Winners. Grand Prizes: At the conclusion of the Entry Period, a panel of judges selected in the Bank’s sole discretion (the “Judges”) will review eligible entries based on the following equally weighted criteria: (a) exemplification of the spirit of the Contest; (b) artistic merit; and (c) creativity and originality. The entrants with the two (2) highest overall scores will be deemed the potential Grand Prize winners. In the event of a tie, the potential winner will be the entrant with the higher score for artistic merit. Second Place Prizes: At the conclusion of the Entry Period, the Judges will review eligible entries and select one (1) entry that best illustrates sustainability, one (1) entry that best illustrates environmental consciousness, one (1) entry that best illustrates energy transition, and one (1) entry that best illustrates green technology, for a total of four (4) Second Place potential winners.
Judges’ decisions are final and not subject to review or appeal. Based on the quality of entries, Sponsor reserves the right to not select winners. Potential winners will be notified on or about April 30, 2019 through the Instagram platform. If a potential winner cannot be contacted within three (3) business days of the first attempt to contact him or her, Sponsor will select an alternate potential winner in his or her place.
8. Requirements of Potential Winners. Except where prohibited, potential winners will be required to complete and return a W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification and a notarized affidavit of eligibility, compliance with rules, assignment/license, and liability/publicity release (the “Affidavit/Release”) within five (5) business days of being notified. If a potential winner fails to sign and return the W-9 and Affidavit/Release within the required time period, if notification or prize is returned as undeliverable, or if Sponsor determines in its sole discretion that a potential winner is ineligible, an alternate entrant will be selected in his/her place. Winner will be required to provide W-9 form for Social Security number and other information for tax reporting purposes. Unless prohibited by law, acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for Sponsor to use winner’s name, picture, likeness, address (city and state), and biographical information for advertising and publicity purposes, worldwide, without further compensation.
9. Publicity Release. By participating in the Contest and/or accepting the prize, each entrant irrevocably gives permission (and agrees to confirm this permission in writing) to Sponsor to use his or her name, image, photograph, voice, statements, biographical information, and likeness, in any and all media, for advertising and promotional purposes, without further compensation or notice, worldwide and in perpetuity, in any and all forms of media, now known and hereafter devised, including without limitation on- line, unless prohibited by law. See Section 12 below for Sponsor’s rights to the use of any entry submissions.
10. Grand Prizes. Two (2) Grand Prize winners will each receive payments paid to the lessor on a three (3)-year lease on a base package Tesla Model S vehicle. Approximate retail value (“ARV”): $55,000 per prize. The winners will also receive a lump-sum cash amount to apply toward the amount of federal and state income tax owed on the prize (the “gross-up” calculated at 25% of the annual value of the actual amount of the lease package as reported on the annual 1099 form). For tax reporting purposes the retail value of the prize will be prorated over the three-year lease period which will result in a 1099 report for each of a three or four year period, as applicable. The gross up payment will be calculated and paid over the same three or four year period. Each winner must agree to use any gross up payment to pay federal and state income tax due on the prize. Winner will be required to visit a Tesla dealer to enter into a lease agreement with Tesla (or Sponsor in certain states) and select and arrange for delivery of vehicle. Winner must meet financial qualifications of Sponsor and Tesla to enter into the lease agreement. Winner will be required to enter into an agreement with Sponsor whereby Sponsor agrees to make the payments on behalf of Winner on the three (3)-year lease agreement of a base package Tesla Model S vehicle as long as the Winner is in compliance with the lease agreement. Winner is responsible for any costs associated with the dealer visit, such as travel to the dealer. Vehicle options are subject to availability. The vehicle lease will require winner to obtain certain minimum insurance coverage that names Tesla and/or Sponsor as additional insureds. Prize receipt and use may be subject to additional terms and conditions imposed by Tesla and/or Sponsor.
11. Second Place Prizes. The Second Place winners will receive the following prizes:
Conditions on All Prizes. Limit: one (1) prize per person. All federal, state, and local sales, use and other taxes and all other costs associated with prize receipt and use (including, without limitation, vehicle upgrades, excessive mileage and wear fees, registration, title, tags, and insurance) are solely the responsibility of the winner. Prizes are non-transferable and non-assignable. No cash or other substitution permitted, except that Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute a prize with another prize of comparable or greater value. All prizes are awarded AS IS.
12. Sponsor’s Rights to Images. By entering the Contest, you grant the Sponsor and its related entities a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, exhibit and communicate to the public your Image(s), by any means and in all media throughout the world. This license is granted only for use in relation to the Contest, which shall include (with the right to sub-license where necessary) - but will not be limited to - any of the following uses:
(i) the process of judging the entries;
(ii) publication in other magazines or print media which the Sponsor may produce;
(iii) publication on relevant parts of the Sponsor’s website, including within interactive elements available for viewing or download;
(iv) in publicity materials (including social media).
For example, and without limitation, Images may be re-used and featured on Sponsor’s Instagram page throughout the duration of the Contest, including your original caption and Instagram user name. Sponsor reserves the right (but does not have the obligation) to verify at any time that all necessary rights, clearances, consents, releases, and other permissions in or relating to your Image(s) have been validly obtained, and you agree to fully cooperate with Sponsor in any such verification inquiries.
13. Release and Limitation of Liability. By participating in the Contest, you agree to release, indemnify, and hold harmless Sponsor, Facebook and Instagram, each of their respective related companies, and each such company’s respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, your participation in the Contest, creation of your Image(s), or receipt, use, or misuse of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) claims that your Image(s) violates any intellectual property, publicity, or other rights; (b) claims arising from any use or other exploitation of, or failure to use or exploit, your Image(s); (c) claims arising from any breach or alleged breach by you of these Official Rules; (d) claims arising from unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (e) claims arising from technical or printing errors; (f) claims arising from lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail or email; (g) claims arising from errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; (h) claims arising from injury, death, or damage to persons or property; or (i) claims based on defamation, infringement of intellectual property rights, or on the rights of publicity or privacy. You further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the actual out-of-pocket costs associated with participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorneys’ fees. YOU WAIVE ANY RIGHTS OR CLAIMS TO INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHETHER FORESEEABLE OR NOT AND WHETHER BASED ON NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS OF LIABILITY, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO ALL ENTRANTS.
IF YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, YOU WAIVE ANY AND ALL RIGHTS UNDER SECTION 1542 OF THE CIVIL CODE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, WHICH PROVIDES AS FOLLOWS: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.”
14. Disputes. To the extent permitted by applicable law, by entering the Contest, you agree that any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate federal or state court located in San Francisco, California. All issues and questions concerning these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or Sponsor’s rights and obligations shall be governed by the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules.
15. General Conditions. In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, suspend, modify, and/or cancel the Contest and, if feasible, select a potential winner from among eligible, salvageable, and non- suspect entries received on or before the termination date. Inclusion in such selection process shall be each entrant’s sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in a disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. In the event of a dispute as to any entry, the authorized account holder of the account used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The potential winner may be required to provide identification sufficient to show that he/she is the authorized account holder. Proof of uploading an entry or Image does not constitute proof of entry. In the event that an entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost or destroyed, entrant’s sole remedy shall be another entry into the Contest. If any provision these Official Rules is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck, and the remaining provisions shall be enforced.
16. Results. Results will be announced on https://bankofthewest.com/capturethechange on or after May 24, 2019.
#CaptureTheChange Contest Official Rules