All Posts Tagged: hotels
It may be the “most wonderful time of the year” for many, but let’s not forget the holiday season is also an active time for scammers and cybercriminals.
- Watch out for bogus emails: Fraudsters want you to click on them so they can infect your computer with malware. Even if an email appears to be from a genuine vendor or brand, contact the business directly to verify the message.
- If you receive gifts that have default passwords, make sure you change the password.
- Always think before you share on social media.
- Clean up your passwords and replace them with strong passwords. Password managers such as LastPass can make this simpler, as you just need to remember one master password.
- Make sure all of your devices are always up to date.
- If you are staying in hotels this holiday season, be aware of these possible scams.
- Be wary of solicitations from charities – make sure any approach is genuine so your money goes to the right place.
- Take care with your personal financial details – never email your banking or credit card details to anyone.
- Don’t click on links or attachments in emails unless you are sure they are genuine. Always go directly to websites you want to visit, rather than using a link.
- Got a new device? Take precautions before dumping the old one; it may have data on it that others will find interesting.
- Set up two-factor authentication for financial and retail websites for extra security.
- Keep your inbox tidy to make it easier to spot a phishing attempt. Unsubscribe from offers and newsletters you don’t really want.
Of course, these suggestions are relevant all year, so why not make a New Year’s resolution to focus on them for 2017?
Wishing you a happy holiday season! #BeCyberSafe!Read More ›